Andrew represents corporations and their insurers in complex aviation litigation and corporate matters.
Andrew represents aviation and aerospace companies, including domestic and international airlines, aircraft engine manufacturers, component parts manufacturers, aviation and airport service providers, and municipalities in federal and state courts in California, Nevada, and throughout the U.S.
With significant experience representing clients in civil litigation, arbitrations, and mediations in matters involving product liability, wrongful death, contract and business disputes, premises liability and personal injury, Andrew has represented clients through all phases of litigation, from pre-lawsuit claims through trial and appeal. In addition to his trial practice, Andrew has first chaired binding arbitrations.
Andrew has extensive experience litigating claims governed by the Montreal Convention, Warsaw Convention, and other international treaties and U.S. aviation statutes. Andrew counsels clients in drafting and negotiating contracts and commercial instruments, forming business entities, and effectively handling employment issues. He also has represented clients involved in insurance coverage disputes, including bad faith claims.
With invaluable industry experience in representing clients, some of Andrew’s work includes:
- Successfully defending a domestic airline sued by passengers involved in a physical altercation onboard an aircraft;
- Successfully defending a hotel in a premises liability lawsuit;
- Representing a general aviation engine manufacturer in a wrongful death lawsuit involving a student pilot and instructor, ultimately obtaining settlement in which the firm’s client paid approximately 2% of overall multi-million dollar settlement amount;
- Representing an international maintenance, repair and overhaul company involved in multiple lawsuits in state and federal court, at both the trial and appellate court levels, in multi-million dollar commercial dispute involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, misappropriation of trade secrets, and business torts, ultimately achieving settlement of less than 1% of amount sought in all lawsuits;
- Representing ground handling companies and airlines in complex wrongful death and catastrophic injury lawsuits;
- Obtaining voluntary dismissal of a military helicopter engine manufacturer in a wrongful death lawsuit;
- Obtaining dismissal of an international airline in two noise pollution lawsuits challenging new FAA flight paths into San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and San Jose International Airport (SJC); and
- Representing an airline in a contractual dispute with government agencies regarding liability and indemnity obligations for costs of emergency response arising from an airplane accident at San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
Newsletters and Bulletins
Published Works and Presentations
“Zealous Advocacy v. Misconduct: A Survey of Recent Cases Evaluating Alleged Misconduct in Litigation and Trial,” Southern Methodist University, Law School, 56th Annual Air Law Symposium Journal (2022) (co-author, Claire L. Hauso).
Speaker, “Zealous Advocacy v. Misconduct: A Survey of Recent Cases Evaluating Alleged Misconduct in Litigation and Trial,” Southern Methodist University, Law School, 56th Annual Air Law Symposium (2022).
Speaker, “Transportation Disasters: Managing Risks and Addressing Exposures to Clients When A Major Transportation Disaster Occurs,” International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) 2022 Midyear Meeting (February 2022).