Known for his practical, efficient and streamlined approach to cases ranging from complex banking and lending disputes to representing individuals, Joseph Czerniawski is known by clients and peers alike as a problem solver.
Joe’s background as a litigator with Big Law firms allows him to operate in many worlds: his cases span the industries of international finance, pharmaceuticals, electronic and consumer goods, insurance, real estate and the arts. He is as adept at negotiating contracts and employment agreements as he is litigating complex issues arising from international lending. Joe always strives to manage issues so that his clients avoid costly and lengthy litigations.
Some examples of Joe’s wide ranging litigation experience include:
- Currently representing a group of investors defrauded in a Ponzi scheme arising from the fraudulent sale of tickets to Broadway shows, encompassing a civil action, cooperation with federal criminal and civil agencies in addition to managing collection processes and enforcement.
- Negotiating a complex receivership situation with an Indian company and its U.S.-based subsidiaries, navigating issues of loan collection and possible improper transfer of assets out of the country.
- Served as lead trial counsel during a six day trial in federal court in which Joe demonstrated that an antiques dealer had defrauded his client through false representations in the sale of a work of art, and successfully persuaded the Court to order sanctions against that dealer for the submission of several false affidavits.
- Successfully represented several pharmaceutical companies in patent litigations as well as complex commercial litigations regarding the manufacture and sale of competing products.
- Defended an investment bank and brokerage house in an arbitration concerning the handling of a margin brokerage account, and persuaded the panel to dismiss all the claims.
- Obtained summary judgment in a products liability lawsuit on behalf of a manufacturer of gas meters.
- Secured dismissal of a lawsuit in which former consultants for a manufacturer of consumer goods alleged breach of contract and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing after their termination.
Joe is a member of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York and served as a law clerk for the Hon. Joel A. Pisano, U.S. District Judge for the District of New Jersey.