Anthony represents corporations and their insurers in complex aviation litigation and corporate matters.
Anthony represents air carriers, manufacturers and other aviation related entities in complex aviation litigation arising from consumer and commercial transactions. His recent work includes the defense of carriers such as Lufthansa, United Airlines and Iberia in consumer class actions where the claims exceeded $100M with victories at both the summary judgment and class certification stages in federal district and appellate courts throughout the United States. His clients also include industry leaders such as British Airways, LAN Airlines, Air Lease Corporation and Southwest Airlines Pilots Association. He has dozens of reported aviation decisions to his credit and has more than a decade of industry knowledge having served as an Area Director for one of the world’s largest air carriers.
Anthony is a frequent author and speaker on aviation business and legal issues. He also remains actively involved in the Kennedy Airport community and other airport communities throughout the United States. He is a recipient of the distinguished Presidential Award by the Association of Transportation Law Professionals for his service to the field of aviation. Anthony has been honorably selected as a New York Super Lawyer in the field of Aviation Law and recognized as a Leading Lawyer by The Legal 500 Transport: Aviation & Air Travel – Litigation, Aviation Expert Guides, Who’s Who Legal: Transport and The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers where he was recognized for his “astounding technical knowledge.”
With invaluable industry experience in representing his clients, some of Anthony’s recent work includes:
- Leading the trial team exonerating a premier European carrier in a multi million dollar jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Miami arising from severe turbulence onboard an international flight.
- Leading the trial team representing a renowned commercial aircraft leasing company at a bench trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California to recover $28 million lost in connection with failed leases for multiple B737-800 aircraft.
- Successfully representing four air carriers in separate negotiations with Boeing over the 2013 grounding of B787 aircraft.
- Successfully defending foreign and domestic air carriers in multiple consumer class actions arising from the application of European Union regulations for compensation and assistance to U.S. passengers in the event of denied boarding, cancellation or long flight delays.
- Successfully negotiating acquisition of a fleet of long-haul new generation commercial aircraft for one of Europe’s largest international air carriers.
- Representing one of the world’s largest international air carriers in class action litigation arising from mass transportation disruptions involving a putative class of more than 30,000 passengers and achieving a favorable resolution within one year of appointment as counsel.
- Litigating a commercial dispute on behalf of the largest Asian international air carrier and achieving a favorable jury verdict after a two-week trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Newsletters and Bulletins
Published Works and Presentations
Speaker, “U.S. Aviation Consumer Regulations and the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018,” Air Law Seminar, Royal Aeronautical Society, London (January 29, 2019).
Contributing co-author, “Class Action Litigation” (chapter 14), Litigating the Aviation Case, 4th edition. American Bar Association, 2017.
Speaker, “Strategic Decisions in United States Litigation,” JLT Aerospace Training Seminar, London (May 25, 2016).
Panelist, “Minding the Gap between Aviation Insurers and Aircraft Financing Entities,” IATA Risk and Insurance Managers (RIM) Working Group Meeting, Rome (May 18, 2016).
Speaker, panel on Gaining Critical Insights Efficiently from Exploding Volumes of Data in Litigation, Legal Analytics and the Business of Law Summit 2014 (November 2014).
Co-Author, “Reliability at the Gate to Allow Expert Testimony or Not”. The Brief. (Spring 2014).
Co-Author, “The Changing of a Liability System: The Montreal Convention and Art. 17”. Cologne Compendium on Air Law in Europe. Hobe/von Ruckteschell/Heffernan (eds.)(Carl Heymanns Verlag – Wolters Kluwer Deutschland GmbH, 2013).
Speaker, panel on Challenging and Defending Expert Testimony at the annual American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) and Aviation and Space Law Committee Seminar on Trial Tactics and Skills for the Aviation Practitioner (October 2012).
Contributor, The Liability Reporter, published jointly by IATA and Condon & Forsyth LLP. (15th ed., February 2012).
Instructor, Airline Contract Law, IATA Training and Development Institute (ITDI), Montreal, Canada, 2010.
Speaker, “The Volcanic Ash Airspace Shutdown: Questioning the Limits of Air Carriers’ Obligations to Passengers in Extraordinary Circumstances”, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 81st Annual Meeting, June 2010.
Co-Author, “Collecting, Preserving and Presenting Evidence In Domestic and Foreign Aircraft Accident Cases”, McGill Law, Annuals of Air and Space Law, Volume XXXV, 2010.
Contributor, The Liability Reporter, published jointly by IATA and Condon & Forsyth LLP. (13th ed., February 2010).
Moderator, “Legislative & Regulatory Overview on Transportation and the Environment”, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 80th Annual Meeting, June 2009.
Author, “Framing the Government Contractor Defense: Origin, Extension, and Potential”, American Bar Association, The Brief, Winter 2009.
Author, “Managing Expert Discovery”, Defense Research Institute, The Voice of the Defense Bar – Skywritings, Fall 2008.
Speaker, “Security, Discrimination and Denied Boarding through the Eyes of a Jury”, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 79th Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia, June 2008.
Speaker, “Fractional Ownership of Aircraft”, Airfinance Journal Air Law Conference, London, England, February 2007.
Co-Editor, “Aviation” Column of Bi-monthly Newsletter, Association of Transportation Law Practitioners (2005-2012)
Speaker, “Legal Developments in Aviation Law”, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 77th Annual Meeting, June 2006.
Moderator, “What’s Flying – Aviation Security”, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 77th Annual Meeting, June 2006.
Editorial Board Member, “Jury Instruction Handbook, Aviation Law”, American Bar Association, 2005.
Speaker, “British Airways World Cargo – A Look Into the Future”, Association of JFK Customs Brokers, Annual Meeting, January 1999.