We have a well-deserved reputation for excellence in representing foreign and domestic insurers and reinsurers in coverage litigation and arbitrations.
Long recognized as authorities on aviation insurance, our attorneys have developed expertise in the most complex issues facing insurers and reinsurers, including:
- Allocation among insurers of long-tail claims involving asbestos and environmental liability;
- Coverage of punitive damages and reinsurance of extra-contractual liabilities;
- Bad faith claims;
- Post-merger successor liability issues;
- Drop-down liability issues;
- Environmental liability;
- Toxic Tort liability;
- Excess liability; and
- Additional insureds and severability of interests.
Our attorneys publish extensively and are frequent speakers on various aspects of insurance and reinsurance law. The comprehensive and authoritative treatise, Margo on Aviation Insurance, currently in its 4th edition, is among the many publications written and edited by the Firm’s attorneys. Special mention of the firm’s partners as leading practitioners in the areas of insurance and reinsurance has been made in The Legal 500. The firm’s insurance and reinsurance attorneys also have distinguished themselves through their work with various industry groups, including the Association Internationale De Droit Des Assurances (AIDA International Association for Insurance Law), the International Union of Aerospace Insurers (IUAI), the Aviation Insurance Association (AIA) and AIDA Reinsurance Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS).
Our attorneys perform a broad range of services for our insurance and reinsurance clients, including:
- Representation of insurers in coverage disputes and related litigation;
- Preparation of coverage opinions;
- Drafting reservation of rights and disclaimer of coverage letters;
- Negotiating defense cost and liability sharing agreements among insurers, insureds, and third-parties;
- Initiating and defending declaratory judgment litigation;
- Defending bad faith litigation;
- Drafting insurance and reinsurance contracts;
- Negotiating subrogation and other lien rights;
- Developing insurance programs; and
- Representing insurers in complex regulatory matters.